An Elopement at Marahau
Scroll to the bottom for Nelson Tasman elopement tippety tips!
Holy moly, I've been trying to think of the words to describe this wild and free day. Let's start at the beautiful beginning. Silke and Carmen emailed me all the way from Austria, during their snowy winter. It was amazing to watch all their gorgeous plans come together as they chose to marry in the Tasman.
Once they landed in New Zealand, I was able to see from their Facebook posts that they were insanely adventurous - they did every adrenaline junkie activity from the top of the North Island to the bottom of the South! And man, on meeting them, I could see why. These two are a bundle of frenetic energy! Made me feel alive just being near them, and I'm not even kidding!
The day before their elopement, the weather dropped any boat trips out of the question, and the beach they'd planned for was suddenly out of the question. These two were just excited to get married, wherever that was, and the fantastic celebrant Tim was ready with options.
Their magical day arrived and the weather perked itself up a little, and we headed out on the most adventurous hike I've ever been on. I've never laughed so much, Carmen and Silke are hilarious and I know I will never meet anyone quite like them. We settled on a spot with our teeny crew and bam, we were straight into a truly heartfelt ceremony that had me bawling.
Right into pine schnapps shots we went and you already know that an adventurous couple like this was never going to stay out of the water.
Here is a wee taster of their Tasman elopement gallery. I love being a Nelson wedding photographer, such an incredible space of the world to work in.
Congratulations, Silke and Carmen! May you be forever adventurous and playful ❤️ It's a joy to be around.
Here are those tasty Nelson elopement tips you were after...
This is the blog post for you if you'd like to learn about elopements in the Nelson/Tasman region of New Zealand.
If you're looking for a laid-back and beautiful destination for your elopement, Nelson/Tasman in New Zealand is an excellent choice. This charming coastal area boasts stunning natural landscapes, yummy local cuisine, and so much adventure.
Here are some tips to help you plan a relaxed elopement to Nelson/Tasman, New Zealand:
- Choose the perfect location: Nelson and Tasman are home to many beautiful locations for your elopement, from the beaches of Tahunanui to the epic backdrop of Marahau. Consider what scenery speaks to you as a couple and make that the backdrop for your big day.
- Keep it intimate: Elopements are all about intimacy, so keep your guest list small. Invite just a few close family members or friends, or make it just the two of you. This way, you can focus on each other and the moment. Yes, your photographer can absolutely be a witness for you!
- Hire a local photographer: A local photographer can help you capture the stunning natural beauty of Nelson in your photos. They can also recommend the best locations for your ceremony and shoot, so you can relax and enjoy your day without worrying about logistics. I recommend Velvet Moon Photography (www.velvetmoon.co.nz) well, because it's me 😅 and if I don't have my back, who does? Oh, but I'm fun to be around and I'll do a beautiful job documenting your intimate elopement.
- Celebrate with local cuisine: Nelson is known for its delicious local cuisine, so why not make that part of your celebration? Hire a local chef to prepare a romantic dinner for two or enjoy a picnic in the park with some of the area's famous cheese and wine. Not gonna lie, we also have a lot of apples, so maybe you'd like a tonne of apples to celebrate your wedding with - I am not judging.
- Embrace adventure: Nelson and Tasman both off so much for outdoor enthusiasts, so why not incorporate some adventure into your elopement? Hike the Abel Tasman, take a horseback ride, or even go skydiving Motueka to celebrate your love and make memories that will last a lifetime.
Planning a relaxed elopement to Nelson Tasman, New Zealand is all about keeping things simple, intimate, and authentically you. By following these tips, you'll be well on your way to planning a beautiful and unforgettable elopement in this stunning location.
Velvet Moon Photography is a Tasman Nelson wedding photographer. Also covering West Coast weddings, Marlborough weddings and Golden Bay weddings.
Same sex/LGBTQIA+ weddings and inclusivity
Oh, how I have tossed and turned over how to phrase this or whether to even explicitly state this on my website. I am proud to support all my beautiful couples and believe that love is love and I will be there cheering you both on with love in my heart. 'Same sex weddings' are known to me personally as 'weddings', but hey, I know this world is a little more complicated than that. I'm a LGBTQIA+ friendly photographer and would be so honoured to document your wedding day.
Why am I saying this? Because I don't want my LGBTQIA+ couples to ever have to ask, I want you to just know. Why do you need to know? Because I understand not everyone is quite so friendly and damn, I know you want a team that is genuinely stoked about your love and your marriage. ❤️🌈